Skip to main content

Associates Degree Program

Since 2014, Joplin High School and Franklin Technology Center have been in partnership with Missouri Southern State University and Crowder College to offer Joplin High School students the opportunity to earn an Associates Degree through Crowder College. Dual Credit core courses (including science, math, English, and social studies) are offered through MSSU, whereas career education courses (including welding, auto collision, and construction trades) are offered through Crowder College. Please see the counseling department for more information on how to begin the Associates Degree pathway!


Most commonly asked questions regarding the Associates Degree:

  • Students who have completed their sophomore year of high school, are 16 years of age and have a cumulative 3.0 GPA have the opportunity to take college classes while in high school.  Joplin High School has a complete listing of the classes students can enroll in at their high school. The term dual credit means they are receiving both college credit and high school credit for their coursework.

    Crowder College, Missouri Southern State University and Joplin High School have developed a partnership to provide an exciting opportunity for students to get a jump start on their college experience.  For those highly motivated students, we are also providing a unique opportunity to complete an Associate of Arts degree in General Studies while still in high school.

  • MSSU Dual Credit & Dual Enrollment:

    The tuition rate for dual credit and dual enrollment courses is $50 per credit hour.  Dual credit/dual enrollment students do not incur any special course fees or incidental fees.  MSSU provides one paper bill to dual credit students.    Billing occurs after the fourth week of classes, when students can no longer drop a course for “no grade”.  Students may access their account at any time by logging in to LioNet.  Fall and yearlong course fees are due by October 1st.  Spring course fees are due by March 1st.  Non-payment results in a holds being placed on the student account.  Holds prohibit future enrollment as well as obtainment of academic records.

    Crowder Dual Credit & Dual Enrollment:

    A paper bill will be mailed to your home address at a rate of $62 per credit hour.  All application, facility use, and online course fees are waived.  In addition, most text books will be loaned at no charge if returned in good condition. Workbooks, online passkeys, and other “consumable” must be purchased. Payment must be made in full before a student may enroll in any subsequent semesters or receive a transcript. Although there is a payment plan available, the student (or parents) can make payments on their own schedule, keeping in mind that they must be paid in full by the end of the semester. 

  • No.  Students are not mandated to enroll in college classes every semester.  However, students who are highly motivated and interested in completing the Associate’s degree while in high school would need to start taking summer classes as early as their summer before their junior year, and each summer afterwards, in order to accomplish this goal.

  • Many, if not all college classes will be offered during the day, however it may be necessary to take a few classes either online or at a one of the college campuses depending on scheduling conflicts and student interest.

  • The Associate of Arts degree in General Studies, which is the degree students can elect to pursue, is a completion of all of their “general core” requirements.  This general core is requirement of every Bachelor’s degree program.  Once completed, the AA degree will transfer seamlessly to any 4-year university in the state of Missouri as well as to most out-of-state public colleges and universities. 

  • No.  We encourage students to take college coursework that will count towards their specific degree program.  Credits earned will be applicable towards a degree at Crowder College and are generally transferable to other colleges and universities. However, because each institution has its own curriculum MSSU and Crowder College cannot guarantee transferability. Students and parents should contact the college or university advisor at the transferring institution to ensure course/program transferability.

  • Yes.  Your high school counselor can provide further details.

  • Yes.  Dual credit students who complete their AA degree are eligible and encouraged to participate in the Crowder College graduation ceremony.

  • Yes.  All dual credit students have access to both of libraries as well as access to our generous online databases.  Students can also take advantage of tutoring and other student service opportunities.

  • More information is available in your counselor’s office. 

    Counselor: Kellie Bowman
    Phone: 417-625-5230, ext. 3012 

  • Yes.  All public 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities are federally mandated to verify U.S. citizenship.  Thus, a valid social security card is required. 

For more information contact:

Joplin High School
Counselor: Kellie Bowman
Phone: 417-625-5230, ext. 3012

Missouri Southern State University
Director of Academic Outreach: Brett Meeker
Phone: 417-625-9785

Crowder College
Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment Program Coordinator: Stacey Hopper
Phone: 417-680-3202